top of page

Declutter Challenge Week 4 and 5

Updated: Nov 5, 2020

I'm behind in posting my coordinating blog posts for our Weekly Declutter challenge, so I thought I'd combine them both into one. I hope you all don't mind!



Week 4 was all about decluttering and organizing the pantry. I started by clearing out one shelf at a time. I would normally clear out the entire pantry so that I would have a clean slate, but due to filming conditions, I decided to do just one shelf at a time to make it more manageable. I already had some organizational items in place and I decided I just wanted to expand on those. The look of everything "decanted" and pinterest worthy, is something I'm embarrassed to say I covet. However, a Pinterest board is not real life, as I have said several times before, but I did my best.


I've often wondered how one keeps up with expiration dates and recipes or directions that come on the box when the food is decanted into nicer containers. My resolution to this is using painter's tape on the inside of the lid to note the expiration date and also taping the recipe to the inside of the lid. Genius! (patting myself on the back LOL)


Next, I corralled all my canned goods into bins as well as my salad toppings and crackers. I love the final look and while it's not exactly Pinterest worthy, it is functional. Functionality is key when it comes to organizing!





Week 5 brings us to our spice cabinet. The spice cabinet in my home is not one that I use a lot. While there are a lot of spices there, they are mainly used for my husband's weekend hobby of smoking meat. (He makes an awesome Boston Butt!) I'm not a huge cook, I'm not very good at it, and frankly I don't enjoy it. I think that is one of the reasons why this cabinet never really gets the love and attention it deserves. It's just not on my radar.


I do however, want to have a kitchen that looks tidy and clean and not cluttered, so I knew this space really needed some attention. After I completely emptied the entire cabinet it was time to start purging, looking carefully at expiration dates. Once the purging was finished, I placed all of the spices in a container from The Dollar Tree. The total cost for this project was literally only $2. What a bargain! In the video, I had a great idea to label the tops of each spice so that when we (I say "we" like it was going to be me, what I really mean is Ken) is looking for a particular spice, we don't have to pick up each one. Each one is clearly labeled on the lid. However, as I started this step, I realized that the clear label tape I had was not going to work, so I had to go get while label tape. As promised, below you will find the final picture of the spices in the bin, properly labeled.


Labeled Spices for ease of seeing what's available

I hope you have found these challenges helpful and motivational! Together, let's "make space for the things you love..."


Blessings!

Cheri

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comentarios


bottom of page